hardco

Re: Patchwork tournament redux

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:56 pm

Our game may be busted. I took my turn, and it appears to have rolled back to the beginning of my turn inside the game, but in the list of games it looks like the game state is after my turn. If I try to take my turn again I get a disconnection as soon as I play my piece.

I'll try to play from my iPad when I get home and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Same thing on the iPad. I've reported it as a bug, but I don't know if they are capable of fixing games in progress.

robthomasson

Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:31 pm

Our game may be busted. I took my turn, and it appears to have rolled back to the beginning of my turn inside the game, but in the list of games it looks like the game state is after my turn. If I try to take my turn again I get a disconnection as soon as I play my piece.

I'll try to play from my iPad when I get home and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Same thing on the iPad. I've reported it as a bug, but I don't know if they are capable of fixing games in progress.
It shows me that it is your turn. I can get into the game okay - but I don't expect that fixed anything though.

hardco

Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:56 pm

Give it a day to see if they fix it, and if not start again I guess?

robthomasson

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:52 pm

Give it a day to see if they fix it, and if not start again I guess?
Indeed.

Of course - all of a sudden I really like my position in the stuck game.

hardco

Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:42 pm

What? I've got that game in the bag! :)

robthomasson

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:55 pm

What? I've got that game in the bag! :)
Also this replacement game. The first tiles made me want to be second player but in the end I did not pass (as I did on our first game).

Luckily I am extremely talented and I am making up some of the lost ground ... but even so I don't think you really need to knock yourself out and plan as far ahead as you did in the abandoned game. Just relax and let the patches do the heavy lifting :mrgreen:

robthomasson

The Decider That Will Decide

Sun May 01, 2016 10:44 pm

So much for "extremely talented". I have now placed two of the single square patches without noticing that I have a single square hole in my quilt (and now that I have noticed, I will not get the next single square patch).

hardco has built well on his (as perceived by me) early advantage and would be ahead In any case. But ... it is never done until it is done ...

hardco

Mon May 02, 2016 4:02 am

Yeah, things seem to be working out for me this game, but we'll see what happens...

I'm beginning to think that going first isn't that strong of an advantage. Sure, you have the option to pass, but if you do, player two can just pass back for an extra button. I think snotty and I had a similar game, which resulted in many passes. Eventually you have to jump in with a purchase, but it's unclear at what button level it is the right call.

hardco

Tue May 03, 2016 1:55 pm

hardco (p2) over robthomasson (p1) 25-0

As discussed above, robthomasson bought an expensive patch to start, giving me some good cheap patches early. By one revolution of the board I had both a slight button income advantage and a decent amount of extra coverage. Forcing a large pass for him in the late game sealed it.

Final results hardco over robthomasson 2-1

Nice match!

robthomasson

Tue May 03, 2016 4:09 pm

hardco (p2) over robthomasson (p1) 25-0

As discussed above, robthomasson bought an expensive patch to start, giving me some good cheap patches early. By one revolution of the board I had both a slight button income advantage and a decent amount of extra coverage. Forcing a large pass for him in the late game sealed it.

Final results hardco over robthomasson 2-1

Nice match!
Crushed! My "single patch hole" gaffe was irrelevant, hardco took command and kept it by playing without fault.

I think I did the best thing at the start given the choices, even though I did not like it. But that was only the start - hardco was relentless throughout and clearly deserved the win. It should be a great final!

Return to “The Tourney Dome”