admin
Site Admin

Review: Twilight Struggle (for PC/Mac)

Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:34 pm

I went into my first game of Cold War simulation Twilight Struggle with low expectations. For me, the Cold War wasn't interesting history: it was the early part of my life.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/revie ... for-pcmac/

biffpow

Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:59 pm

Nice review! I was daunted by the tabletop, but I've been wanting to try it digital because so many people I like have said it's amazing. Though no one had called it "the face of god," so you're one up, Thrower : )

But how many stars do you give it? I assume 5, but there are none shown at all, and I know it's not zero : )

OBollocks

Re: Review: Twilight Struggle (for PC/Mac)

Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:44 pm

As many stars as there are nuclear warheads in the respective arsenals of the Cold War hegemonies. Brilliant game.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

mattDP

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:01 pm

Heh, I was hoping no-one would ask me about the rating :)

It's a game I would struggle to put a number on. The board game is unquestionably a 5 out of 5. But there are enough niggles in this digital version to make me feel it's not worth full marks. A smattering of minor bugs and usability issues, plus the sense that while the AI is better than I was expecting, it could be better still.

So I guess it depends. If you're new to the game, it's a five-star game you should go buy now. If you're already familiar with it, and especially if you're comfortable playing online with with one of the rough and ready amateur versions, it's a four.

Kolbex

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:11 am

Anybody can send me a challenge, just saying. Kolbex on Playdek.

OBollocks

We must face up to the chance of war if we are to maintain the peace.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:19 am

And I'm OhBollocks. Standard set up for the most even game possible is with +2 starting Influence to the US.

currymutton2016

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:17 am

Still learning the ropes. Play 3 games in a row (see my piece over BGG), all lose to the AI

Can't wait for the game to come out on iOS.

Anyone up for a teaching game for a noob like me? My Playdek ID is "currymutton"

OBollocks

For only when our arms are sufficient beyond doubt can we be certain beyond doubt that they will never be employed.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:03 am

Still learning the ropes. Play 3 games in a row (see my piece over BGG), all lose to the AI

Can't wait for the game to come out on iOS.

Anyone up for a teaching game for a noob like me? My Playdek ID is "currymutton"
Invited!

Natus

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:29 pm

I'm NatusM on Playdek. I've already roped most of my wargamer friends into playing this, even though at first they had no idea what Steam was!

I agree with Matt about the PC game quirks. I wish Playdek would do something about the Coup 1 warnings, or at least create an Undo around playing DefCon lowering events. It's not a fun way to lose, and you would almost never lose that way in an actual game.

OBollocks

Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:07 am

I feel it has enough with the scoring card warnings. I've watched people get caught up in couping and counter-couping and blow DEFCON. If the player is holding a card or not being conscientious enough about DEFCON suicide, that's the responsibility of the player.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”